About the Position:
The IT Business Analyst will be responsible for gathering, defining, analyzing and documenting requirements, assisting with developing technical solutions to business problems, in addition to managing resources and schedules, facilitating requests, analyzing documents and maintaining system processes and procedures. The IT BA will directly manage some small projects including Infrastructure Environment builds alongside a project manager.
About Vanderbilt IT:
Vanderbilt Information Technology is a division of the university whose mission is to provide world-class information technology to Vanderbilt University.
About Vanderbilt University:
Vanderbilt is a renowned private institution founded in 1873 located a little more than a mile from downtown Nashville, TN. The university’s students, faculty, staff and visitors frequently cite Nashville as one of the perks of Vanderbilt. VU is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt was recently ranked #1 in the Princeton Review among 382 top colleges and universities for “happiest students” - as well as #2 for “best quality of life” and “great financial aid,” #5 for “best run colleges” and “beautiful campus,” and #6 for both being in a “college city that students love” and having “great campus/city relations.”
Duties, Responsibilities, and Expected Outcomes:
• Elicit, analyze, validate and document business, organizational and/or operational requirements
• Assist with performing assessments of the business needs
• Coordinate the activities of the solution teams to meet the business need
• Facilitation of requirements sessions
• Interpret business needs for technical teams
• Translate technical questions into business terms
• Manage requests, timelines and schedules effectively
• Coordinate with customers to ensure timely completion of testing and requirements to ensure delivery of solutions
• Understand the goals of the business and impacts of business goals
• Work with standard project management (Planview Enterprise) and office tools
• Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
• Assist with strategic planning and policy development
• Compile presentations and other informational documents as needed for specific target audiences
• Develop detailed documentation as related to approved work requests
• Make written and oral presentations to solution teams and customer forums
• Compile information from various sources to create material necessary to provide organizational transparency
• Coordinate communications with appropriate stakeholders
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field is required
• 2+ years of business analyst/project management experience is required
• Experience managing projects using a project management methodology (i.e. Agile, Waterfall, PMI or PRINCE2) is required
• Experience building and managing a project schedule in Microsoft Project, Planview Enterprise, Jira or similar project management tool utilizing data-based decision-making is required
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy is required
• Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, Visio) is required
• Experience managing project schedules is required
• Experience managing resource requirements is required
• Strong presentation skills required
• Strong written, verbal and interpersonal skills to communicate and interact effectively with co-workers and leadership teams
• A Certified Business Analyst Professional (CBAP) certification is highly preferred
• Project Management Certification (PMP or equivalent) preferred, but not required
Key Characteristics of a Successful Team Member in this Work Unit:
• Integrity – Holds oneself accountable; takes responsibility for failures as well as successes, recognizes that trust is required to hold a team together.
• Creative Thinking – Goes beyond the boundaries of the job description, willingly takes on new challenges, finds creative solutions rather than always awaiting direct instructions
• Maturity – Exhibits professional maturity; doesn’t pass the buck to dodge accountability; doesn’t engage in petty office politics or inappropriate social conduct
• Raises the Bar – Expects and delivers excellence. Is a creative problem solver. Is proactive. Welcomes input on making things better. Places a high value on learning and getting better
• Reliable – Does what they say they will do, when they say they will do it. Shows up for work when expected. Doesn’t push the burden of work volume or deadlines to others.
• Sharing – Shares information. Communicates proactively. Transmits knowledge; recognizes that “knowledge is power” is less effective than “sharing knowledge is power.” Asks for advice, and considers it thoughtfully.
• Teamwork – Genuinely values teamwork and co-workers; make them feel valuable and important by acknowledging what they do well. Doesn’t expect from others effort that one is unwilling to do themselves. Finds ways to acknowledge other’s strong suits.